Every few weeks, we check out a new crop of library books.
A couple rounds ago, we picked up Sophie's Squash.
Here's the summary from Amazon:
On a trip to the farmers' market with her parents, Sophie chooses a squash, but instead of letting her mom cook it, she names it Bernice. From then on, Sophie brings Bernice everywhere, despite her parents' gentle warnings that Bernice will begin to rot. As winter nears, Sophie does start to notice changes.... What's a girl to do when the squash she loves is in trouble?
Lucinda loved that book. But we eventually returned it and moved on.
Today, I put together our meal plan for the week and took the kids to the grocery store. Matt had requested Pam's squash crack (if you have not tried this, make it now and thank me later), so I was on the lookout for precut butternut squash. They didn't have it, so I picked up a whole squash, finished our shopping, and we came home.
While I gathered stuff for our afternoon trip to the pool, the kids helped Matt unpack the groceries. Lucinda grabbed the squash and promptly introduced her to daddy as her "baby" and told him her name was Bernice. Then she carried Bernice to her room and tucked her in for a nap. Bernice napped while we were at the pool, then spent the rest of the day with Lucinda.
I told Lucinda Bernice is tomorrow's dinner.
Lucinda told me Bernice is her baby.
We eventually struck a deal - Bernice can be her baby today, but I get to eat her tomorrow (seriously, if you've tried the squash crack, you'll understand).
Lucinda seems on board.
She even asked me if Bernice would taste yummy.
Hopefully tomorrow's dinner will not scar her for life.

No comments:
Post a Comment