Lilypie Birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 13, 2010

20 week appointment and some unexpected news

It's been an eventful week in the Ross household! Last weekend, I really started feeling kicks regularly for the first time, and Matt even felt one of the babies kick while we were watching the Michigan game last Saturday! Matt started calling the babies Frick and Frack early on, now Frickle and Frack since Frick didn't sound much like a girl's name (but Frickle clearly does...). Now he calls their kicks "Frickle Tickles" and "Frack Attacks"!

We went in for our 20 week appointment on Thursday, which included the full anatomy scan of both babies. We got good news and less good news, but let's start with the good news!

Both babies look perfect and are measuring right on track! They were both dancing up a storm during the ultrasound. Frack's on top and Frickle's on the bottom, still jammed pretty far down into my pelvis. They're starting to look more crowded in there now. At one point, he was resting his feet on her spine like she was his own personal ottoman! We are really happy to hear that everything looks great. They weigh 12 oz. each now. We got some cute profile pictures and will post those later once we get them scanned.

On the less good news front, they found that my cervix has shortened from 3.6 cm at 16 weeks to 2.5 cm at 20 weeks. While 2.5 is still in the normal range, it's the very lower end of "normal" and given how much it's decreased, that's cause for some concern. The cervix is the opening of the uterus and the cervical muscles basically hold the babies in until they dilate during labor. My cervix is still tightly closed, though, which is great. The shortening is likely due to the weight of both babies, sacs, placentas, etc. on the cervix, coupled with a cervical surgery I had in 2009 which may have weakened the muscle.

So, I was admitted to the hospital Thursday afternoon for overnight monitoring to make sure I wasn't having any contractions. After a very boring night in the hospital, we've confirmed that I'm not having contractions - more good news.

But, the bad news is that I'm now out of work and on strict bedrest, likely for the duration of the pregnancy. I can get up to use the bathroom and shower, but otherwise am supposed to be lying down in bed or on the couch. I'll go in for weekly cervical checks and we'll keep an eye on it. The hope is that my reducing the weight, that will take the pressure off the muscle and stop the shortening. I have great doctor's and we're going to do exactly what they tell us to do and try not to worry too much.

It could be worse - at least I'm on bedrest at home, not in the hospital, and I can catch up on reading, movies, and maybe learn to knit or something. I suspect it's going to be very boring, but it will all be worth it when we meet our babies!

1 comment:

  1. You might get this twice. For some reason, the comments don't want to attach. I can't wait to see the new pictures. I'm really sorry about the bed rest though. I wish I could come and help but I can't right away with my job. I'll look into it though after the 1st of the year if you need me. Maybe I can use FMLA. We are coming at Thanksgiving though. I have to see how you are, Sweetie. We'll make you a nice Thanksgiving dinner! I hope you don't have trouble keeping yourself entertained. Maybe you can crochet a blue & white blanket for Frack to match the yellow and white one I made for you that can now be Frickle's. We're all keeping positive thoughts coming your way to hold on to those 2 until it's time to meet everyone. I know you're strong and will do whatever is necessary. You have a great partner in Matt. The 2 of you will make it work. Love you and can't wait to see you, Sweetie. Tell Frack to stop using his sister as an ottoman. That just isn't right. :-)

    ReplyDelete