Lilypie Birthday ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Bethany Beach (Part 3)

Thursday was our day to visit Ocean City.  We thought it would be fun to take the kids to play mini golf, which they'd never done. They had been watching an old VHS copy of A Land Before Time that we found in our beach house, so we thought they'd get a kick out of the dinosaur themed golf course.  The nice thing about going to the beach after Labor Day is that there are no crowds at all.  We almost had the whole mini golf course to ourselves. 
 
 
Their form leaves a bit to be desired, but they really liked hitting the ball into the cup!
 
 
 
 
 
And, of course, they liked the dinosaurs.
 
 
 
 After we finished our round of golf, we cooled off for a bit in the arcade, spending $5 in quarters to win enough tickets to purchase lollipops and plastic dinosaurs that together were worth at most 35 cents.  When you're three, that is without doubt a winning economic transaction.
 
 
Then it was off to the Boardwalk for our traditional healthy lunch of Thrasher's Fries.  Matt, while holding our giant bucket of fries, made the mistake of dropping one and was promptly swarmed by a flock of seagulls. The rest of us fled and left him to defend himself (and our fries), which luckily he did.  Not content with french fries and lemonade for lunch, the kids had soft pretzels too much to their delight.
 
  
 
 After lunch we made a ritual stop at Candy Kitchen where everyone got to pick out one thing (mini gummy bears for Malcolm, "peachy penguins" for Lucinda, black licorice for me and mint taffy for Matt). 
 
We had planned to go to dinner that night at a restaurnt I wanted to try, but silly Malcolm fell asleep at 5:00 and decided to sleep for the rest of the night, so Lucinda, Matt and I picked up a pizza and salad and had a quiet night at the beach house.  Lucinda loved having us all to herself, although at one point, she walked away from the dinner table, pizza in hand, declaring very seriously, "I have been chosen.  I'm going to a better place."  Apparently the better place was the den.  She is such a silly kid.
 
 
Friday was their half-birthday, which led Lucinda to demand that I serve her half a cake for breakfast (no) and they both spent the day talking about how it was their half-birthday and singing variations on the happy birthday song to themselves. 
 
We had a fun morning at the beach with friends who were vacationing at the same time as us, who also have twins, and their friends from college.  The kids built more sand volcanos (their new speciality), and Lucinda and I spent a lot of time swimming in the ocean since it was so calm that day.  Malcolm continues to have a healthy fear of the ocean, and prefers to chase the waves in and out while staying safely on the sand.
 

 







 
After a post-beach swim in the pool, we put on A Land Before Time (again) for them so they could rest and I came in to find them like this:
 
 
 Friday night we finally made it to Matt's Fish Shack, the restuant I'd planned to go to the night before.  We made it a special dinner to celebrate the kids' half birthday!  Matt and I had a delicous meal of fried oysters and fresh fish. Lucinda took down yet another hot dog.  But the highlight of the night was that I taught Malcolm to slurp pasta.  I was unreasonably proud of this accomplishment, as was he.
 
 
 
Saturday morning finally arrived, which meant packing and loading up to head back home.  We had a great week, with lots of family fun, and made lots of memories - what more could we ask for?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment